San Costanzo

The church of San Costanzo is one of the oldest in Capri and is located in the seaside village of Marina Grande, and is dedicated to the cult of the patron saint Costanzo and that of the Madonna della Libera. Originally named after San Severino, only after the death of San Costanzo in the seventh century, it took its name.

In 987 was erected a seat of the bishop of Capri. It has undergone several extensions including the elevation of the canonical house in 1928. The portal dates back to the fourteenth century, and is overlaid by the coat of arms of the Angevins.

It was built in the 5th century on the ruins of a late-Roman palace – Republican, in fact, with the last restoration of 1990, the Roman floor and brick wall were restored to their splendor. The architecture recalls the typical Byzantine characters with a Greek cross plan and the domed vaults.
Only in the fourteenth century, at the behest of Count Giacomo Arcucci, were added the Pronao and the Presbytery.